There are a lot of web hosting companies out there with unusual, strange, or just plain weird names (and URLs). We have collected some of the strangest ones in this post.
- www.InternetTrash.com (From their website: “The only place for trashy, tasteless, useless, politically incorrect, silly, stupid, meaningless, obnoxious, waste of bandwidth homepages! Normal & ordinary homepages also welcome!”)
The insanely specialized
- www.OutGay.com (Yes, it’s web hosting for gay people…)
- www.AmenWorld.com (Their slogan actually is: “In web we trust”)
The hard to classify
- www.Yupapa.com (at least it’s not “yumama.com”).
- www.GoDaddy.com (Ok, they are huge, but they still have one of the strangest names around when you think about it.)
Animals, animals, animals…
There seems to be a lot of love for the animal kingdom among web hosts.
- www.BigBirds.com (Hosting on Sesame Street?)
- www.Minivds.com (Don’t worry. They’re just really small VDs…)
The extremely spacious
- www.MegaGiga.com (Both mega AND giga? Ok, we get it, lots of space, right? But still less than…)
- www.ExaBytes.com (The exa- prefix means 10^18, i.e. one quintillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000) bytes. Not bad…)
The Simpson’s alternative
- www.HowdyNeighbor.com (Did Ned Flanders get into hosting?)
The healthy alternatives?
- www.BananaHosting.com (Lots of potassium with your HTML?)
- www.CyberSalad.net (Just add oil and vinegar.)
Or should we have called this category “hungry hosting” instead?
Just add Bling?
- www.DataPimp.com (Though it seems they just shut down.)
Perhaps not the best choice of words
- www.PowerSurge.com (Something that can knock out power and hardware is perhaps not the ideal name choice for a hosting company.)
- www.Crankithosting.net (Crank IT Hosting? Methamphetamine hosting? Ok, it’s Crankit hosting, but heck…)
- www.BurningBulb.net (Nothing with “burning” in it, please.)
- www.00server.com (But if you have 0 servers, how can you host anything?)
What’s in a name?
There are so many web hosting companies around that picking a truly different name could be an effective strategy to stand out in a very crowded marketplace. Names that have that “strangeness factor” can often be really easy to remember as well.
Of the examples in this post, GoDaddy has to be the perfect example of a very successful company with a strange and easy-to-remember name. (But of course the name is not the only success factor… if it was that easy then everyone would do it.)
Did we miss your favorite?
As you can imagine, it’s more or less impossible to go through all the web hosting companies out there for a list like this, so if you feel we have missed a gem, please add it in the comments. There is also a thread over at Webhostingtalk.com which was the inspiration for this post.