Every Friday we bring you a collection of links to places on the web that we find particularly newsworthy, interesting, entertaining, and topical. We try to focus on some particular area or topic each week, but in general we will cover Internet, web development, networking, performance, security, and other geeky topics.
This week we bring you a collection of articles focusing on Big Data and NoSQL.
This week’s suggested reading
- Big Data Wizardry: Pay Attention To What’s Behind The Curtain: There’s been a lot of hype lately around the concept of big data, with the lion’s share of that hype related to things like analytics, data management and data storage technologies (like NoSQL).
- NoSQL Offers Users Scalability, Flexibility, Speed: User case studies at the NoSQL Now conference show NoSQL being used for a variety of reasons.
- Oracle MySQL Gets NoSQL-Savvy Upgrade: Plenty of telcos have embraced Oracle’s MySQL Cluster edition for its combination of scalability, performance, and reliability. Now Oracle is increasing the appeal to Web-based businesses with performance upgrades and built-in support for linking to NoSQL databases.
- How Infochimps wants to become Heroku for Hadoop: Deploying and managing big data systems such as Hadoop clusters is not easy work, but Infochimps wants to change that with its new Infochimps Platform offering.
- Big Data Makes Banks Rethink Storage: Banks have long been built on massive amounts of data. But as “big data” gets even bigger, legacy storage systems are growing increasingly inefficient and even obsolete, according to industry experts.
- I.B.M. Turns to Big Data Algorithms for Computer Security: I.B.M. is now the latest company to attempt to take a more holistic approach to corporate security using “Big Data.” The company has rolled out QRadar, its new security intelligence platform, to track corporate vulnerabilities in real time and cross-reference unusual activity with I.B.M.’s X-Force database, the world’s largest repository of threat and hacker information.
- How to prepare your social game for massive growth: James Phillips, co-founder of Couchbase, a NoSQL database company, presents how your company can prepare for massive growth using NoSQL technology.
- Unstructured data is worth the effort when you’ve got the right tools: It’s dawning on companies that data analysis can yield insights and inform business decisions. As data-driven benefits grow, so do our demands about what more data can tell us and what other types we can mine.
- Eight Business-changing Ways to Use Big Data: Enterprises are finding business-changing ways to put the power of Hadoop, an open source Apache project for storing and processing large amounts of data, to good use. They are using Hadoop and Big Data to reduce risks, better serve customers and even change the Internet.
- And finally on the lighter side…
- MySQL Diehard vs. NoSQL Fanboi: The Animated Movie: There is often a charged debate between MySQL proponents and those who are increasingly excited about NoSQL. So, it’s good to see a bit of levity enter the discussion.
You can also subscribe to these articles
You can also subscribe to these weekly articles and receive them in your email inbox each week.
Database image (top) via Shutterstock.