The team at Pingdom would like to wish you all Happy Holidays (and a less politically correct Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well!)
A list of advice…
If you and your colleagues plan on being away from the office like the rest of the population, but still have a service or site running online, here are some things to keep in mind.
- Print out a contact list with all key personnel and suppliers.
- Make an extra backup of all important data.
- Keep your cell phone with you so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Make sure you have someone on call in case of an emergency, if this is not your usual routine.
- Make sure that whoever is on call can remotely log in to your servers to be able to correct any problems that arise.
- Monitor your servers, website and other key services (email, DNS, etc), so you can receive alerts if there are any problems. Hopefully you use Pingdom for this. 😉
- If you have your own datacenter, make sure to double check (or better yet, triple check) that your backup power works in case there is a power failure. All those Christmas lights may take their toll on the power grid, you know…
- Remember to have FUN! It’s supposed to be a holiday, after all.
Follow this advice so you won’t have to choke on your Christmas dinner because your site has crashed (knock on wood), or come back to the office a week later only to find out that you have had several days of downtime.
Now off to enjoy the only downtime that we encourage: Time off!